The S&P 500 recently hit a record high, with the tech sector showing big gains. While driving forces are complex, the S&P is a good reflection of the market leaders and pace setters in industry.
The economic outlook is strong for US tech companies across many markets:
- Augmented and virtual reality, expected to grow at 64% CAGR 2017-2023
- Night vision, expected to grow to $14.5B by 2020
- Autonomous vehicles, growing 13.5% annually
- Automation, industrial controls and robotics, growing to $239B by 2023
Rochester Precision Optics (RPO) is currently working on programs with 36 of the S&P 500. Across industries, photonics are the enabling technologies behind much of this growth. As a strategic partner, we are careful to protect our customers’ confidentiality, but the demands of programs like these share some common traits:
- Move to mobile — platforms in industries like medical device and consumer electronics demand optical systems and aspheres designed to reduce weight and size.
- Ability to scale—demand is difficult to forecast, and partners proven from design to prototype to large volume production ease the ramp-up to manufacturing. RPO’s commitment to vertically integrated engineering and extensive automation can provide seamless ramp-up.
- Collaborative innovation—with much of R&D spend moving to outsourced partners, joint ventures and acquisition, market leaders value partners with strong engineering, optical design, and design for manufacturing.
RPO is proud to partner with some of the leading engineering teams in the market, helping to ensure that their optical systems improve product performance, minimize size and weight, and are designed for superior manufacturability and high volume cost.